So You’re Tired of Being Fat? So was I…

Fat
Are you craving that summer beach body? Trying to lose the spare tire, get those six pack abs, the firm, tight butt? If so, then I’m sorry, but we don’t have a whole lot in common.
Your trouble is one of inconvenience, a small dip in the road where you’ve come to rest. You just need a small push to get rolling toward your goal again; your way forward is clearly marked.
If, on the other hand, you’ve been cycling through the same two pairs of pants because you swear that’s as big as you’re going to get, if you then dread shopping for clothes because you find tacking another X onto your clothing size humiliating; If you hate being photographed because you’re not sure you’ll fit in the frame, well, then maybe we do have some common ground. Because chances are, you’ve found yourself deep in a hole, using food the way some people use cigarettes or alcohol: to make yourself feel better.
I was fat in high school, all sugary soft drinks and video games. In college I managed to shape up, the result of buying into a chemical-laden low carb diet full of artificial sweeteners (anything to satisfy that sweet tooth) and a 2nd job that required me to move 40 pound boxes 4 hours a night. After college, however, the combination of a sedentary lifestyle, poor nutrition, and being seriously defeated in the recession-tainted job market created the perfect formula for an increased waistline as I had to eat more to cope with my circumstances. I ballooned well beyond the socially-accepted definition of fat: the labels ‘5’6”’ and ‘280 pounds’ do not belong together under any circumstances.
My excessive weight was a sore subject for me, so while I quietly tried to eat healthy and introduce diet strategies that had worked in the past it was far too easy to succumb to outside pressures. A diet started Monday would be ruined by drinks and all-you-can-eat sushi on Thursdays with coworkers (funny how the best intentions of friends are often counter-productive to building healthy habits). If the week was especially stressful then by Saturday it was a pint of Ben & Jerry’s, or a shake from a fast food joint, followed by another half-hearted attempt on Monday. This is assuming I bothered to make the attempt at all; don’t get me started on weeks when I didn’t have the energy to make an effort. Of course, I saw no point in starting an exercise regimen if my diet was out of whack, which seemed as good a reason as any to stay on the couch.
Eventually, I’d found that things in my life were sorting themselves out. I was recovering from the impact the recession had had on me personally, and I reached a point where I realized that while many things in my life were getting better my health had been practically neglected. It was at this point that I strengthened my resolve, and decided to set everything else aside and make health the primary focus of my life. Things were going to be different THIS time.
In actuality, I was still stuck in that hole, uncertain of how I’d get out.  As it goes, the universe conspired to drop a line right in front of me (funny how that happens after you make a decision and take the first step towards accomplishing it). No more than a week after I was beginning my plan to seize back control of my health and wellbeing did I read a Facebook post from an acquaintance from middle school whose only contact with me throughout that time period was vague acknowledgement during rides home on the school bus. His name was Luke Sniewski, and this is what he posted:
ARE YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW LOOKING TO LOSE 75+ POUNDS? ARE YOU PREPARED TO CHANGE EVERY DETAIL OF YOUR LIFE TO DO SO? CONTACT ME FOR INFORMATION ON STARTING YOUR LIFESTYLE TRANSFORMATION.
I didn’t really understand the term Lifestyle Transformation (?) at the time, but after I pretty much signed my life over to Luke by committing to his program for 6 months my life began to change in a big way – pun intended. I’m writing this to tell you that I’ve lost 80 pounds in 16 weeks, and am still dropping weight.
It hasn’t been easy, and I’m not saying that what I’m doing or how I’m doing it is for you. What I can tell you is what I personally experienced along the way since I’m sure the the mental battles we fight are the same regardless of who you are and where you come from. In the coming weeks I’ll be giving you a first-hand (admittedly  subjective) glimpse of challenges both expected and unexpected that I’ve faced on the road to a happier, healthier, and leaner me. And who knows; my journey may provide you with the insight, motivation, and guidance you need for your own lifestyle transformation. Luke told me that the only thing he wanted in return for his help was for me to help others. So, here it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment